...like the dew drop on the leaf, they are together yet separate.
- Lagaan (a Hindi movie, 2001)
I was reliving the India days with the movie haha. It is by far the best Hindi movie I've watched, recommended to me by Jingyun :) Set in a village of the 1890s, it is a story of Indian patriotism, passion, and cricket. three cheers for anti-colonialism! The quote was taken from the lyrics of one of the movie's (sort-of) love songs. I just liked the analogy a lot haha.
What I really long to do is to re-read Shantaram! But each time the thought comes to mind, I'll always postpone it. The longer the interval between my first read and the next, the better the second read will be!
~
On another topic, this whole series of study on Isaiah and the whole general election fever in Singapore has led to a lot of thinking about my country. A conversation with Kevin a few days ago brought my perspective back to God's sovereignty over our nation.
For many weeks, we have been studying about Isaiah and his prophecies of God bringing His destruction over proud nations who defile His name, and even His chosen nation had turned away from Him. Two nights ago, I really wondered what God thought of our country. I mean.. when I look at my own generation and the next, I cannot help but worry. I don't mean to sound self righteous.. because I'm a part of it. But there are some things that are obviously wrong. Yet, the postmodernist current is extremely strong among the young people. We are so, so eager to embrace every value that sounds good or seems right that it has become difficult to stand up for what I know is right/wrong without getting attacked from all corners. Today, almost everyone operates on a grey scale. But more often than we think, reality is full of blacks and whites.
The morning after GE results were released, my grandpa called from Kedah and spoke to my family. He told us how all the coffee shops in his town was rife with talk about our elections. They have been following the whole process, well aware of all the hot button national issues. Not to demean the plight of people struggling in Singapore, but the Malaysian Chinese are just shaking their heads at us. "Bu zhi zu", they said, which means "never knowing contentment". The level of angst against the government, all the finger pointing at the ministers, all the complains hurled and resentment stirred among the people towards our government. "Over here," he said, "we are like third class citizens and we work hard against all the odds. And over there, you all are first class citizens with a silver spoon to your mouth and you complain like the sky fell over. And you want to punish your government for not giving you an easy life."
The following Monday morning, I walked into class only to hear the same sentiments from my tutor. She is a Singaporean by the way. "Shame on us! Look how pampered we are. All the foreigners are just shaking their heads at us... 7 mins wait time at the MRT station and the opposition also dare to bring it up...yadah yadah yadah."
Well, I couldn't disagree with them. Putting aside all the other arguments about alternative voices and whatnot, it is true that we are becoming a people who believe that we have the right not to struggle much in life. It is especially so among the younger generations. I think that way by default too, until something wakes me up to the truth. I'm afraid that 20 years down the road, we are going to pay a painful, painful price.
Anyway, I've decided to read the WP's manifesto carefully. I really want to know what their agenda is, and exactly what kind of alternative voice our people are bringing into parliament. 5 years later, their number may just multiply. For good or for worse? I want to get a good feel of it.
So far, I'm really happy to read that they are advocating for the mandatory death sentence to be abolished. YES! that is one of the most frightening laws... I'm very sure there have been innocent lives lost. more thoughts on this another time!
No comments:
Post a Comment