Monday, February 14, 2011

2nd chances

I used to give tuition to this little girl whose father owns a small hairdressing shop near my home. She comes from a family that is emotionally and financially broken. Twice a week, she would come over to my place for lessons and then after every lesson, she'd get an hour on my piano. Once in a while, we'd head to the library together. After 5 months, she became too tired from extra lessons in school so we stopped seeing each other.

Well, it was a load off my shoulders because school work was getting so heavy at that time. But if I were to be ruthlessly honest with myself, it was because I wasn't a good enough teacher who didn't put in enough heart and effort, giving up on her tantrums easily, and I just let her slip by me. Although I gave quite a lot of my time, my heart and mind were seldom there. I mean, seriously, which parent wouldn't keep a teacher if he/she was a good one right? And the thing is... from the beginning when I first interacted with her, I knew God had a purpose placing her in my life. I knew that as much as I knew that I didn't really think much about what God was trying to do with the girl. just getting by for the extra income... that was all there was to it.

Sometimes, I would walk as fast as my legs can carry me past her dad's shop when I head to the train station, so that I wouldn't have to chat with her. it's the guilt that makes me do that. and in the past few weeks, I began asking God for a second chance. I didn't know how or what to do because there was no way I could ask to tutor the girl again.

And then tonight, I bumped into the father and daughter at my lift lobby and had a little catching up with her. and out of the blue, she coyly asked if she could come to play my piano again. She misses playing the piano :) but her dad didn't allow her to. I was stunned by her question... God's really fast in answering. So I talked to her dad about it and he actually agreed! I think he was afraid that he'd have to pay for her music lessons or that he didn't want to just blatantly ask if she could use my piano.

I'm feeling really happy that God's given me another chance :)

No comments:

Blog Archive