I was reading John 20 this morning. and I don't have my journal with me, so I'll write it in here so that I won't forget these thoughts. John 20 is the story of the empty tomb, and Jesus' first appearances to his disciples after his death. there were two parts in the story that really touched my heart...cos it showed the kind of person Jesus is.
Mary was weeping outside the empty tomb cos she thought that someone had stolen Jesus' body away and hidden it. she saw a figure standing near her, but she didnt' know that it was Jesus. she thought that he was the gardener. Jesus asked her "Woman, why are you weeping? whom are you seeking?" and Mary told Jesus (not knowing it was Him) to tell her where he'd hidden His body if he'd carried away His body away. at that, all Jesus said was "Mary!" and she turned to Him and cried "Teacher!" I can just imagine the way Jesus had called her name... it must have been a voice filled deep with love and a joy at being reunited with his disciple. it must have been a tone that Jesus had often used in love during the years he'd spent with her during his ministry on earth because she recognized it distinctively... and it must have been something profound because she hadn't recognized His voice when he'd asked her why she was weeping.
Will I ever hear Him call my name like that...?
The second part of the chapter that struck me was the story of Thomas, and how he'd outrightly stated that unless he sees the print of the nails in the Lord's hands, placed his finger on the prints and at the side of His body, he will not believe. 8 days later, they were assembled behind close doors, and the Lord miraculously appeared to be with them. and the first thing He did was to ask Thomas to place his finger and hand on His palms and side, so that Thomas may believe. The thing is, Thomas had aired his doubts among his friends when the Lord wasn't technically present with them. Yet, Jesus knew what exactly was on the heart of Thomas, and answered Thomas' request even before he'd presented them to Jesus. (:
No comments:
Post a Comment