This morning, I picked up the latest copy of Readers' Digest and read this article about Lucy, a girl from Britain (I think), who suffers from an incurable genetic skin defect called HI (Harlequin Ichthyosis). If I recall correctly, it's a very rare genetic disorder. 1 in 250,000. This is what happens, her skin growth is exceptional and the skin dries up very very quickly, in fact, instantly. and the skin keeps flaking, like exfoliating I think.. to make things worse, because it dries up so quickly, it keeps cracking and she risks getting infected that may be fatal.
This is what really got me - since she was a baby, she's been waking up at 4.30am every single morning without fail and scrub herself down in pain to take away all the excess flaking skin, and then soak herself in water for 2 hrs to soften the harden exterior of her body, and then cream herself all over to remain moisturized. Throughout the day, she has to re-cream herself in the middle of school or lessons and her mom has to wash tons of clothes cos she has to change them so very often! The clothes she wears are also usually soaked cos of the cream. and think of all the stares and weird stupid comments she has to put up with all her life. It's so amazing that she is even alive! she's one of the 2 or 3 surviving people in her country who have HI. It is even more amazing because she's grown into such a radiant and beautiful lady. There is just that much more about her. She may look out of the ordinary, but she is precisely extraordinary!
I think that people who survive through abnormal conditions, people like her, like the Malay guy who recently became "half a man", and millions of others in the world who are not physically normal have it very hard on them, yet they are able to remain positive and truly live out their lives. Wow. Not forgetting their loved ones who care for them! I can't imagine all the patience, heartache, sorrow, and hope. Lucy has a sister who is diagnosed with HI as well. Her mom is an incredible woman.
Needless to say, I feel awfully small for complaining about the extra things on my legs that aren't even incurable. lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment