Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Singapore RIver

I've been at this article "Romancing the Singapore River" by two professors in my school. Part of it talks about how much of the real history of the Singapore River has been obscured from citizens ourselves and visitors from other countries behind the present fancy consumer-entertainment facade of our River. People who really mattered like the samsui women and coolies who slogged hard in the building of our nation have been out-shined and often forgotten with the prominent statues of the Merlion (a story that is predominantly fabricated not to mention) and Sir Stamford Raffles. The article talked about the "uglies" and the "deaths" that were hardly mentioned, like the suicides that were committed at the river, the bodies by the river that had succumbed to exhaustion, and what about the opium bars that proliferated along the river quays? There is so so so much more than this. I wish everybody could read it for themselves!

I feel so incredibly saddened! It is such a shame. Actually, what is so bad about all these histories? The lives that were lost to the river, the piracy, the racial segregation and conflicts that happened, the whatever! Taking all these away and making people think that they didn't happen and that we're such a perfect nation makes us so, so unreal. All these deaths ironically give our river life. It's like saying we've never cried or suffered. I think people outside our country would appreciate the river our govt so painstakingly reconstructed better if they know the different facets of it. Right now, I feel more proud of the Singapore River than ever before because of what she contains and the memories that she holds in her banks.

No comments:

Blog Archive